Directions on use of Mothers Nurser nursing shield are as follows
- After taking the nursing shield out of its package wash with hot soapy water before using the first time.
- Use warm, moist heat and massage on breast (a hot shower is ideal) before placing the shield on your nipples. This may increase milk flow.
- Lean forward to allow your breast to fall into its natural/cone shape before placing the nursing shield on the breast aligning your nipple with the inside of the shields nipple.
- Massage your breast and hand express a few good drops of breast-milk into the shield nipple tip. This may help your baby to get started
- Gently stroke the lower lip of your baby with the nipple of the shield and wait for your baby to open his or her mouth as wide as possible like a wide “yawn.” It may take a few attempts before the baby latches on and begins nursing.
- Securing a good latch is essential when the mother is using a nursing shield.
- Let the baby nurse as long as he/she wishes. Then repeat this process on the other breast.
- Make sure you see your baby’s mouth moving; you should also be able to hear sucking and swallowing noises.
Keeping the nursing
- Before and after each use, wash Mothers Nurser Nursing Shield in warm soapy water and rinse, but it is also dishwasher safe.
- At the end of each day, we suggest you boil or dish wash for good hygiene (having an additional shield on hand may come in handy).
- Allow nursing shield to air dry in a clean area and store dry with nipple facing up in a clean storage container with a lid.